My Healthy Homemade Applesauce Recipe
I make this healthy homemade applesauce recipe for my kids because they love applesauce. Store-bought applesauce has all sorts of scary ingredients when all you need is apples, a piece of citrus fruit (like orange or lemon) and some water. The applesauce is “Core-friendly” – I can eat it with my meals or bake with it in recipes. Real healthy homemade applesauce recipes take time to make, it’s a process that cannot be rushed. The nice thing about a homemade applesauce recipe from scratch is that it’s very simple to make, once you get the water simmering, it’s just a matter of checking on it from time to time.
Healthy Homemade Applesauce Recipe Ingredients:
- 6 large red delicious apples
- 1 orange (or lemon)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
Healthy Homemade Applesauce Recipe Directions:
- Cut up the apples into 1-inch cubes. Keep the skins on the apples, it adds the flavor and color of the applesauce. Once blended or processed, you won’t even know the apple skins were left on.
- Cut the orange in quarters.
- Place apple pieces into 9-inch saute pan and squeeze the orange quarters over the apples. This keeps them from browning and acts as a natural preservative.
- Bring everything to a boil and then turn down to a low simmer for about 35-40 minutes. Until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Let the cooked apples cool for 30 minutes.
- Drain the excess water from the pan. Too much liquid will make your sauce separate once its been refrigerated.
- Add to food processor or high powered blender and make sauce!
Best Homemade Applesauce Recipe
What makes this best homemade applesauce recipe? It’s the fact that I use no sugar and no salt and it still comes out amazing. My healthy homemade applesauce recipe tastes better than anything store-bought.
Best Apples to Pick for Homemade Applesauce
You want organic, red-delicious apples for your applesauce. The red delicious apples are sweeter and the skin makes your applesauce a pretty pink color.